Cook it up like a mighty mogul with this amazing recipe for Rogan Josh inspired by my trip to Rajasthan. You can use lamb, mutton or goat. For a true authentic indian taste, track down your local mutton dealer.
– 1kg of your chosen meat, cubed
– 6 cloves of garlic, minced
– 3cm piece of ginger, minced
– 1tsp turmeric
– 3tsp garam masala
– 2tsp ground coriander
– 2tsp ground cumin
– 1tsp mild chilli powder
– 2tsp salt
– 2 medium onions, finely diced
– Tin of peeled plum tomatoes
– 2 dessert spoons of plain yogurt
– handful of coriander roughly chopped
1. Put a little oil in a heavy based frying pan and add the minced garlic and ginger. Fry on a medium heat for a few minutes.
2. Add the meat to the infused oil and cook until browned evenly on all sides. Transfer to a bowl and cover.
3. Using the remaining oil (add more if needed) add the chopped onions and all the spices and salt. Stir continuously. This is known as ‘pot roasting’ , the pan may give off a little smoke and strong smells but it’s all good. Keep stirring for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the meat back in, stir and add the chopped tomatoes and yogurt, bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling turn down to a simmer, cover and leave for one hour, checking after 30 minutes.
6. Add half a cup of water, stir and simmer for another 30 minutes.
7. Add the chopped coriander and allow the curry to rest for 10 minutes. Serve with rice, roti and a side salad of tomato and red onion.